Sunday, January 23, 2011

PRAYER it does a body good

Like the old milk commercial ‘Prayer.. it does a body good.’ Prayer is not

a hocus pocus moment for snake handler types. It is not using the right

words of “Presto-chango” or shouting “Abracadabra”.. and much more than 3

wishes allowed to your average Genie in Lampville. Of course in our finite

believer brains cluttered with infinite impatience (oxymoron?) we as

believers often reduce prayer to.. MAGIC.



In fact this morning as I type I have a specific very real worry on my mind

that I am praying about for someone I care about. What I am impressed on

regarding this need for prayer is that I need to share my heart to God

regarding this matter than.. LET GO.



PEACE BE STILL.. are the words Jesus used to calm the sea, and PEACE BE

STILL is the challenge for all of us when life is raging like a stormy sea.



Everyone of us have challenges, stress, loneliness, sadness, tragedy,

sickness, and/or death that greet us daily. This is a fallen world and I

know for myself I make this worse as like Peter I take my eyes off Jesus

and focus on the problems (the raging sea) of my day.



So no matter your circumstance, know that our prayers are heard by a God

who loves us, and wants what is best for us. The challenge is that this

scriptural truth of a loving God becomes cluttered in an imperfect world

that feels anything but loving.



So my prayer today if for God’s answers in my life and for a world that

needs Him. May there be peace in my mind even when I have circumstances

that challenge this peace. May I learn to trust God and lean not in my own

understanding.



One last reminder.. let’s be as the Bible teaches in an attitude of

prayer. Pray without ceasing.. meaning we communicate with God throughout

our day. This type of prayer should be the natural communication of

thanksgiving & praise, repentance, for protection & guidance, and the

desires of my heart. Flowery lofty language is not needed, but instead

honest ongoing communication about our worries and dreams with our loving

God. THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO BE, then PEACE BE STILL is possible in all

circumstances.

1 comment: